There are several types of payment methods that you can link to your Coinbase account:
To link a payment method:
|Bank Account (ACH)
||Large and small investments
||4-5 business days
||1-3 business days
- Navigate to https://www.coinbase.com/settings/linked-accounts/ on web or select Settings > Linked Accounts on mobile
- Select Link a New Account
- Select the type of account you want to link
- Follow the instructions to complete verification depending on the type of account being linked:
Please note: Coinbase currently does not accept physical checks nor bill pay as a payment method to purchase cryptocurrency or to deposit funds into a user’s fiat wallet. Checks will be returned to sender upon receipt via mail, provided a mailing address is present.
Most banks can be linked instantly and securely by providing your online banking username and password when requested. Additional security questions (as well as a PIN) may be required as well depending on your bank's security procedures.
To link your bank account:
- Visit your Accounts page via this link.
- Link a New Account, click Bank Account and hit continue. You will be presented with a screen where bank logos are displayed.
- Type in the name of the bank account you would like to link.
- Enter your bank's login credentials.
Once completed, your bank account will be instantly linked and available to use.
Alternatively, you may manually link your bank account using our deposit verification process.
To manually link your bank account:
- Visit your Accounts page via this link.
- 'Link a New Account', click 'Bank Account' and hit continue. You will be presented with a screen where bank logos are displayed.
- Scroll down to see 'Don't see your banks? Search instead.'
- Search for a non-listed bank will display 'Don't see your bank?' at the bottom of the prompt. Select 'Link your bank manually.'
- A new prompt will appear. Select Get Started.
- You will be asked for your bank's routing number, your bank account number, the name on the bank account, and type of account being linked (Checking or Savings). Enter your banking details and full name then select Verify Account.
- Note that the name on the linked bank account must match the verified name on your Coinbase account.
The deposit verification procedure will initiate two small test deposits to your account. Only enter "cent" portion of the amounts. For example if the amounts on your bank statement are $1.10 and $1.20, enter:
Once the deposits have reached your account (generally in 2-3 business days), you can verify the amounts by clicking on the 'verify' button for your bank account on the Linked Accounts page.
Once done, you can initiate your first buy. You can also use your linked bank account to receive proceeds from Sell orders or withdrawals from your USD Wallet.
For more information on how to use a bank account as a payment method, please visit our help page.
Visa and MasterCard debit cards can be used to buy using Coinbase. We're unable to support prepaid cards or other cards without an associated billing address.
In most cases, photo ID verification is required before adding a card.
From the 'Link a New Account' dialog:
- Provide your card information
- Two small, temporary debits will be applied to your card
- Go to your card online banking statement to find the two amounts
- Enter those amounts on Coinbase to complete adding and verifying your card
You can now make a purchase by selecting your card on the payment methods menu on the Buy page. Please note that it is not possible to sell digital currency and have the proceeds deposited to a card.
Note: Coinbase no longer supports linking new credit cards and some card issuers are blocking digital currency purchases with existing credit cards. If you have a credit card linked already, your bank may charge additional fees for Coinbase credit card purchases. We encourage affected customers to switch to a debit card or linked bank account instead.
Wire deposits into Coinbase
Coinbase can only accept wires if:
- The name on the bank wire matches the legal name on your Coinbase account AND
- The wire is sent from a US-based bank account AND
- The account the wire is sent from can only be associated with your Coinbase profile (your bank account cannot be linked to another account. Also, please note that you can only have one personal Coinbase account.)
- Your unique reference code or Coinbase wire account number is included with the wire deposit*
: Wire deposits are only available for amounts of $5,000 or more. You must have completed sufficient account verifications to obtain a USD wallet.
*We are currently in the process of replacing reference codes with a unique account number. You will receive an email once your account number has been assigned. Please refer to the email for further instructions.
To deposit using a bank wire:
Please be careful not to send an overnight or next day *ACH*. Only actual bank wires ("FedWire") are supported at this time.
- Select the Accounts tab
- Select your USD wallet
- Click on the Deposit button
- Make sure to select Wire Transfer tab from the Deposit USD menu
- Use the information displayed to initiate a Wire transfer denominated in USD from your bank account.
After the deposit has cleared, the funds will be available in your Coinbase USD Wallet. If you would like to deposit funds to your Pro wallet, please login to your Pro account to view your deposit instructions.
Wire withdrawals from Coinbase
Wire withdrawals are available for amounts of $25,000 or more. Once you complete the verification steps to activate a USD Wallet and verify your wire withdrawal information, you can withdraw funds from your USD Wallet via bank wire.
To verify your wire withdrawal information, follow this link and click "+Link a New Account". Follow the prompts to enter the wire details provided by your bank and your bank will be added successfully.
Once your wire information has been added, to withdraw via bank wire:
- Select your USD wallet - located on the left side menu of the Accounts page.
- Click on the "Withdraw" button.
- Make sure to select bank wire for the "To" field.
- Confirm the amount and select "Withdraw".
Wired funds will typically appear in your account within 2-3 business days.
*Please contact Coinbase support if you have any issues with your wire. Do not contact our partner banks, they will be unable to assist you as your account is managed by Coinbase.