Note: U.K. customers should read Payment Methods for UK Customers.
Coinbase supports the following payment methods for European customers in a supported country.
||Large amounts, EUR deposits, Withdrawing
||1-3 business days
|3D Secure Card
||Instant crypto purchases
What is a SEPA transfer?
Bank transfers made via SEPA are used to send payments denominated in Euros within the Single Euro Payments Area. These payments typically only take a couple of business days to credit to your Coinbase account. SEPA transfers have no fees and can only be denominated in EUR.
See Payment Methods for UK Customers for swift/wire transfers.
Please ensure you send a SEPA transfer when making deposits to your Coinbase account.
Checklist for SEPA Success
- Confirm that your bank supports SEPA transfers before sending funds.
- Have a verified ID and phone number added to your Coinbase account.
- Ensure the name on your bank account matches the name on your Coinbase account. Corporate or institutional bank accounts are not supported unless you have completed our institutional onboarding process.
- Verify your bank account. Before making a deposit, visit Settings > Linked Accounts and enter your bank account details to verify your account. You will use the information provided to make an initial verification deposit.
- Include your unique reference code in your bank transfer EXACTLY as it appears. No spaces or additional text please.
- Only send deposits denominated in EUR. SEPA transfers only support deposits in EUR.
- Send at least €6 for verification deposits. If your bank transfer is successful, this deposit will be credited to your EUR wallet and your linked bank account will be automatically verified for deposits and withdrawals.
Deposit with Bank Account
To avoid any processing delays with SEPA transfers, please link your bank account in Settings > Linked Accounts
before initiating a transfer. The steps to initiate a SEPA
deposit are as follows:
- Select Accounts on the top of the page
- Select EUR Wallet
- Select the Deposit button at the top-right
- Use the information displayed to initiate a SEPA transfer in euros from your bank account. It is important to include the Reference Number to ensure that your deposit is correctly associated with your Coinbase account.
- Please only send deposits denominated in EUR.
Your funds will credit to your account 1-3 business days
after you send them. You are responsible for any conversion or reversal fees performed by your bank.
If you send a SWIFT payment, it is subject to a €5 fee that we are not able to waive. If your payment is for less than €5, your funds will not be returned.
Before you can withdraw euros to your bank account, you will need to complete a successful SEPA deposit to your Coinbase EUR wallet. Instructions for this are covered above.
Withdraw to Bank Account
To withdraw euros from your Coinbase account, follow these steps:
Withdrawals typically take 1-3 business days to complete.
- Select Accounts on the left side of the page
- Select EUR Wallet
- Select the Withdraw button at the top-right
- Provide the requested information for your bank account if requested
- Confirm the withdrawal
To avoid any loss due to conversion rates, please ensure that the bank account receiving your withdrawal is denominated in EUR.
Buying with a Credit or Debit Card
You can make a purchase with a credit or debit card if your card supports ‘3D Secure’. With this payment method, you will not have to pre-fund your account to place an order. You can purchase instantly without waiting for a bank transfer to complete. To determine if your card supports 3D Secure, you can contact your credit/debit card provider directly.
The following steps will get you started:
- When logged into your account, go to the payment methods page.
- Click ‘Add a Credit/Debit Card’ at the top of the page.
- Enter your card information (The address must match the billing address for the card).
- If needed, add a billing address for the card.
- You should now see a window that says ‘Card Added’ and a ‘Buy Digital Currency’ button.
- You can now buy digital currency using the ‘Buy/Sell’ page anytime.
The following steps will walk you through the 3DS purchase process:
- Go to the ‘Buy/Sell Digital Currency’ page
- Enter the desired amount
- Select the card on the payment methods drop down menu
- Confirm the order is correct and click ‘Complete Buy’
- You will be directed to your bank’s website (Process different depending on bank)
Note: Coinbase no longer supports linking new credit cards and some card issuers are blocking digital currency purchases with existing credit cards. If you have a credit card linked already, your bank may charge additional fees for Coinbase credit card purchases. To avoid these fees, switch to debit card or bank account.