Google Authenticator provides an extra layer of security. Since the Google Authenticator app is not tied to your phone number (you'll still need a phone number associated with your Coinbase account in order to buy or sell digital currency), you will be protected even in the event of an attacker compromising your phone number.
When using Google Authenticator for your 2-step verification codes, you will still be protected even if your password is stolen and your phone number is ported. When using Google Authenticator, the only way to generate 2-step verification codes is by physically accessing your Google Authenticator app.
*Before you begin, please note that enabling Google Authenticator will disable both SMS code delivery and Authy tokens - these will no longer work with your Coinbase account. Disabling Google Authenticator will re-enable SMS codes / Authy tokens.
*Please download Google Authenticator before beginning this process.
Log in to your Coinbase account using your current email, password and 2-factor authentication method.
1. Navigate to https://www.coinbase.com/settings/security_settings
2. Select "Enable Authenticator"
3. Provide a 2-step verification code from a registered app (like Authy) or request code via SMS/text
4. Install and open the Google Authenticator App on your device and scan the QR code displayed
5. Complete setup by entering the code generated on your Google Authenticator app and selecting Enable. Google Authenticator will now be linked to your Coinbase account
6. Congratulations, you have made your account dramatically more secure! You should now see this in your security settings.
Please refer to this page for 2-step verification troubleshooting.